Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What's to argue about? Not much.

"Thus says the Lord, who created you, do not fear, for I have redeemed you. I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters I will be with you:and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you: when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. you are precious in my sight, and honored , and I love you." Isaiah 43:1-2,4.

This blog is about elderly people who for some reason have ended up needing 24 hour nursing care. None of us really want to end up there but we may find ourselves there someday or at least visiting someone we love.. By visiting my mom every day, I  learn and observe similarities that I feel the need to express. For example: What's to argue about?

I'm certain you can think of a time in your life when something happened, something tragic, something life changing and it made you stop. You stopped arguing with your family, battling with your ex, bumping heads with your boss or facing off with your coworker. For a brief moment in time, all the bickering ceased!  In my case, it was when my teenage son was hit by a car. Before that,  my ex and I had been constantly arguing and in complete disagreement about everything!  It had come to the point to where I didn't even have an emergency phone number because he didn't want me to have it. I had to have the operator call his blocked number and leave this message: "Luke's been hit by a car, he's going into surgery, what ever we were angry about, it doesn't matter now. Just hurry to the hospital, our son's been hurt!"

Don't you wish that moment in time just remained constant?  There wouldn't be any wars, any neighbor's fuming, any inflamed emails about politics, no church disputes, no divorce, no family grudges, no resentful co workers and no indignant bosses. Instead just peace!

  Elderly people seldom argue about politics, religion, family, exes or anything else. They watch the news, they know who the president is, they still believe in their religion but they just don't argue about it anymore. They talk about the important things in life, like love and family, how good God is. What's important? Waking up, eating, singing, praying, playing, working, exercising, living and breathing. It's simple to be happy!  Have they come to the realization that they can't change other people's minds? Is that it?  One of my Mom's elderly  friends , a veteran and a gentleman described it perfectly while shaking his cowboy hatted head sadly and discribing his son's total disdain for the politics of the day, " Yelling at the TV? What good does that do!"

That's what I love about this stage of life! It's a "respect your differences" argue free zone. It's calm, collected, neutral and friendly. Please God, let it rub off on me!  Will I care about this when I'm old? If the answer is no, then I'm going to stop being so angry about it. Dear God,  "Grant me to accept the things I cannot change. Change the things I can. And the ability to know the difference." Elderly people seem to know the difference and they are preparing  to go somewhere else! Somewhere better, somewhere God lives.

No comments: